From the Herzog Award Competition press release:
Announcing the twelfth Carl Hertzog Award for Excellence in Book Design sponsored by the Friends of the University Library University of Texas at El Paso
The competition is open to presses and publishers of all types and sizes. The winner and runners-up will receive national publicity and their works will be exhibited in the University Library of the University of Texas at El Paso for two months after the announcement of the award on February 6, 2010.
The winner will receive a $1,000 cash prize, a framed certificate, and a specially struck bronze medal designed by Hertzog’s long-time associate; the late Tom Lea.
By creating and sponsoring the Hertzog Award, the Friends of the University Library endeavor to underscore the importance of fine printing as an art, to encourage work by new and established artisans, and to biennially recognize outstanding accomplishments in the field. Questions regarding the competition should be directed to the Library Director, 915-747-5683 or emailed to
llimas [at] utep [dot] edu.
1. Only books and pamphlets, both finely printed and trade items, may be submitted; minimum length is 16 pages.
2. Privately published volumes with a minimum print run of 25 copies are eligible.
3. Entries must be published and entirely produced (designed, typeset or composed, printed, bound, etc.) in the United States.
4. There is a maximum number of five entries allowed, and all must have been printed in 2008 or 2009.
5. Books previously entered are not eligible.
6. Only one copy need be submitted.
7. There is no entry or handling fee.
8. The winning entry will become the property of the University of Texas at El Paso Library and will be placed in the Carl Hertzog Collection. The UTEP Library may keep other entries, at the option of the contestants.
9. While a printer, publisher, or designer can submit an entry, only the designer is eligible to receive the award.
10. All entries must be postmarked by October 1, 2009.
11. Submissions and entry forms should be sent first-class, insured mail to: Hertzog Award Competition
c/o Library Director
El Paso, TX 79968-0582
Previous winners of the award include Gerald Lange, Patrick Reagh, Mark Argetsinger, Enid Mark, Gaylord Schanilec and Robert Buchert.